SharePoint Three State Workflow
- Use a Three-state workflow – SharePoint Server – Office.com.
- The Three-State Workflow – The Forgotten Out-Of-The-Box Workflow for Both WSS and MOSS — SharePoint Solutions Team Blog.
Here is a simple description of »Three state« workflow how it works.
- Create a new »Issue« (before doing this assign »Three State Workflows« to »Issue tracking« list)
- Edit and save the item. When the item is saved, the first workflow is generated.
- A new item appears in the »Issue tracking« list.
- User receives an e-mail with instructions what to do:
- A new generated workflow appears in the »Tasks« list.
- In order to finish the task, open the task in edit mode.
- Set the status filed to »Completed«. The task is complete now and will made a change on the »Issue tracking« item. This item will go to the middle state and the second workflow will be generated.
- On the task list you can see that the first task is completed and the new one is here.
- At the same time the item on the »Issue tracking« list is now in the »Resolved« state. At the beginning it was in »Active state«.
- Let us complete the second task now.
- Both tasks are now completed.
- On the »Issue tracking« list an item is now in the final state »Closed«. The case is finished.